Second hand smoke is a mix of two types of smoke.
- The smoke from the end of a cigarette
- The smoke that is breathed out by the person smoking
Cigarette smoke will stay on countertops, in fabric, and on the floors and walls of your house and car. It can be dangerous for people and can make them sick. If you have a family, it is important to know that second hand smoke can have a lot of bad results.
- Babies can get sick, even before they are born, and are more likely to be born early
- Once born, babies are more likely to die before their first birthday and of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Infants Infants and kids can get more ear infections, get coughs and colds more often, or it can make asthma worse in some cases
- It can cause cancer in babies, kids, and adults
- It can cause heart disease
And did you know that kids who have moms who smoked while they were pregnant are more likely to have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), behavior problems, or learning disorders?
Smoking cigarettes is never safe. If you or someone in your family smokes and you want to learn more about the benefits of quitting, please check out our Willing to Quit resources.